Top 10 things I learned about Florida
- The drivers in Florida are infamous for being are the worst in the nation.
- The produce is a lot more expensive- and you are spoiled in California.
- Everything is located in a strip mall: doctors, dentists, gourmet restaurants.
- There are big box stores everywhere- BJ’s, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Marshall’s.
- Dunkin’ Donuts is on every street corner; Floridians eat a lot of donuts.
- It’s hard to find a Wi-Fi cafés. It is hard to find a “coffee shop.”
- There are no bookstores. (Those two or three Barnes & Noble don’t count)
- Rain can fall in buckets, and miraculously cause traffic to crawl – then clear up instantaneously.
- The summertime clouds in Florida are breathtakingly spectacular. The hot, sticky humidity isn’t.
10. Everyone goes to the beach on the weekends- and it’s impossible to find a parking place- especially in light of the fact they just razed an 800-car parking garage.
And…There is a reason 1,000 people
move to Florida.
1000 people move to Florida each day.
And every day, at least 50% wonder:
“Where are all the bookstores? Really, where are they? Come one….
Where are all the coffee shops?”
(Note to Floridians: A fabulous Cuban Coffee Stand does not a coffee shop make…No, Dunkin Donuts is not a coffee shop)
The Hollywood “Broadwalk”* is one of Florida’s Jewels in the Crown.
The beautiful beach – pristine waters, white sand, perfectly planted palm trees, life- guard stations polka-dot the beach every block or so… and an industrious small army of paper-picker-uppers make the beach a “go to” place for hundreds of happy families every weekend.
Where is the parking?
Parking Meters run 24/7 at most South Florida beaches…
and it can be a near miracle to find an available meter.
Californians often quote: “Everything is in a strip mall” – The best restaurants, TJ Maxx, fast-food restaurants, Bed Bath and Beyond…all in a strip mall.
Welcome to Florida!